Notes about the 50 plus DC
- 50plusDC.com is copyright Mike & Jen Elsden. If you wish to reproduce any of the content, please contact us by e-mail. We will normally readily grant permission to reproduce small extracts from the web site subject to acknowledgement of the source.
- 50 plus DC contains the personal views of Mike & Jen together with facts drawn from a wide range of sources. The personal views are ours and ours alone, but in a web site of this size it is inevitable that some errors could have crept in amongst the facts. If you spot an error, please alert us by e-mailing us.
- American visitors to the site may be a little perplexed by some of the spelling. When the founding fathers of the USA decided to rationalise (note the ‘s’ not ‘z’) some spelling they made life for future generations of computer spell check designers much more difficult as back here in the UK we continue to spell words the way they always had been. It’s not us being difficult, it’s just the way we do things over here. We haven’t taken it to the ridiculous lengths of one British tabloid newspaper which after 9/11 insisted on referring to the World Trade Centre. Buildings and places are spelled the American way, so while a town may have a harbour, the town of Bar Harbor is spelled in the Americans way.
- During the Victorian era, the UK and USA also drifted apart when inventing new words. Most people know that a car in the US has a hood and a trunk but in the UK it has a bonnet and a boot. A tram in the UK is a streetcar or trolley in the US. Others are much less well known, for example people walk along a sidewalk in the US but it is called the pavement in the UK - in the US anyone walking on the pavement could be run over! Where the words differ on the two sides of the Atlantic we have usually used both to avoid confusion.
- Web designers can be an indisciplined lot and as a result links to external web sites can be very difficult to keep up to date. In order to minimise the risk of broken links, we try where possible to link only to Top Level Domain home pages, as these are far less likely to change. We are now finding it increasingly necessary to break this rule so if you encounter a broken link, please advise us by e-mail .
- The site has been designed to be browsed with Internet Explorer 10 or higher. It has also been tested with Firefox, Chrome and Microsoft Edge, which have generally displayed the web site correctly.
The most recent arrival in 50 plus DC is five pages on Puerto Rico. The addition of Puerto Rico has casused a navigational problem. It’s not a State, but a Territory, so we haven’t listed it under the US STATES tab. We have included it in theSouth Region or there is a link to it on the minimap of the Florida pages.
We also added to New York City, adding the National September 11 Memorial & Museum to the Lower Manhattan page, a new page on The Bronx, and more information on Staten Island, Upper East Side and Uptown Manhattan.
Next, we will be adding new material to Florida where we have material for a lot of new pages. We still have a backlog of new material from trips to the USA over recent years and are aiming to publish more new material through the rest of 2018. After Florida we will move on to material from other trips including Arizona, Nevada, Utah and the Pacific North West.
© Mike & Jen Elsden 1981 - 2018
The contents of this page may not be reproduced in full or in part without permission